Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Language

When I was unable to use symbolic language, like no speaking or typing, I found it to be difficult. I had to keep thinking of new ways to convey certain emotions and phrases I wanted to say.My partner had to do all of the talking, and he tried to ask me yes/no questions so we could still have a conversation. Instead of asking how work went for me, he asked if work was hard or long or good or bad. He was laughing a lot because it was weird that I wasn't being vocal in the conversation, and couldn't contribute to the flow of the conversation at all either. I had to depend on him to do all the talking and communicating. The culture who uses symbolic language has the advantage in communicating complex ideas. The speaking culture might think the other culture is less intelligent since they use only physical embellishments to communicate instead of voice, which is simpler. Some individuals in our culture who have difficulty communicating with spoken language are mute people, deaf people, people with brain damage after accidents, and people with mental disabilities. It affects how these individuals interact with others because they have to use physical actions instead of just talking to communicate. They use sign language with their hands, motions, pointing, writing, or voice output communication aids. Therefore, they have to work twice as hard to communicate in very creative ways.

I was not able to last the full 15 minutes of communicating without any physical embellishments. It made it difficult because once I could no longer use vocal intonation, I would think to turn to signals, or body movements to convey what I wanted to say. Therefore, I had to think of even more clever ways to communicate. It was also hard to keep a monotone voice and not change my vocal intonation. My partner found it amusing with the way I was talking. I was talking to my boyfriend, and he showed me a picture of us on his phone and instead of me smiling and being like "Awe!", I had to say, "Awe. That's. so. cute." completely emotionless. It made it difficult for him to figure out how I felt because I was expressionless. He didn't know if I was tired, or bored or didn't want to talk to him, which was kind of funny. This experiment clearly exemplifies that non-speech language techniques are almost essential in our ability to communicate effectively. It is impossible to tell what someone feels if they do not convey emotion. Saying "I love you" with no vocal intonation wouldn't be meaningful. Saying "I love you" with a gentle, loving tone and perhaps a hug conveys so much more. Therefore, non-speech language techniques bring to life feeling and emotion, and bring meaning to a conversation.

There are definitely some people who have difficulty reading body language. Knowing how to read body language is an important adaptive benefit because it can save you from bad, uncomfortable, and avoid-worthy situations. For example, if you are walking along the street and see a dog coming towards you with narrowed eyes, showing their teeth, and anxious, as if they're ready to pounce, if you understood their body language, you would run the other way. If you didn't know, you might try to pet the dog or get closer, and end up getting bitten and/or attacked. An environmental condition where there could be a benefit to not read body language is in a classroom. Some students who cross their arms, wear their sweatshirt hoods, refuse to make eye contact, or look down may be some of the brightest students in the class. They just might not like speaking to the entire class, or are very shy. By not reading their body language and calling on them, you might be shocked by the fact that they are in tune with the class, and do have something thoughtful to say. The same goes with people who are exhibiting those same shy/reserved body languages. Talking to someone like that could make their day. Maybe they're too shy to make friends or initiate a conversation, but by talking to them, they could gain a new friend. Another environmental condition where it would be beneficial to not read body language would be if a band was performing to a crowd of people who look bored. If the band pays attention to the body language, they might get upset or angry and stop trying very hard. If they push through and focus on putting on the best show ever and remain positive, they could gain fans. Plus, Some bored looking fans may just be too exhausted to rock out.

3 comments:

  1. I had the hardest time coming up with environmental condition where it would be beneficial to NOT read body language. However after reading your band example, it makes sense and it opened my mind to think of more examples. The band example can also be compared to public speaking or even teaching a class where the speaker or teacher could discouraged by seeing their students or audience bored.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have great examples for the environmental condition where it would be beneficial to not read body language! It happened with me, that one of my classmate, who was shy and uninterested in anything, became my best friend. I didn't give up asking her questions and try to make a conversation with her, so finally she started to talk to me...We are happy now to know each other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good observation that you had to work harder in the second experiment to use your words to express yourself. You don't realize how much you depend upon non-verbal language to get your message across.

    You mention that there are people who can not read body language, but you never identify them. Who are they?

    Otherwise, good post.

    ReplyDelete